logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > GWM

4x4Community

GWM Positively Driven

Old 09-04-13, 04:10 PM

Default Very unhappy Steed owner.

As I sit here I am really unhappy with GWM at the moment. What started out as a nice relationship turned very sour the last couple of weeks, and now is the time for other Steed owners to see my frustrations.

1.) I bought my vehicle new on 11 April 2011, it is a Steed5 LWB 2.8tci 4x2, on the day of delivery a noticed a noisy gearbox, now this is a work vehicle and I cannot afford to have the vehicle stand at a dealership for repairs, I immediately phoned them and told them at the 2000km service they need to check it out, exactly two years later and 75000km on the odo the diff was replaced.

2.) In between all this the vehicle was serviced practically every 2-3 months, or 10 000km as per the service intervals, the dealership also replace the EGR valve/system twice in the two years as well as some other smaller problems.

3.) At the last service on 70 000km, I get a phone call from the service adviser that there is rust on the vehicle, but they cannot honor the rust warranty as the check up was done two months too late. I studied the time the vehicle was there for a service and the 6 months intervals the rust inspections should be done, luckily for me, my vehicle was at the dealership on exactly the correct date. I forwarded the information to them, and there response was that I did not inform them to do the rust check, and it is my responsibility to do so. I went to the dealership this morning to chat to the dealer principal, he was on his phone, he acknowledge me and kept chatting on his phone, I stood waiting for 25 minutes, went to his secretary and ask for a business card and left. I contacted the dealer principle about an hour later to ask for a meeting, he informed me that the case is lodge with GWM South Africa and they will contact me about the warranty of the vehicle and then we can have a meeting with all involved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	205832
Driver side, Roof water channel area

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	205833
Same place different angle

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	205834
Same place with rubber intact.

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	205835
Passenger side, roof water channel

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	205836
Driver side firewall, bad photo, but the rust has made the firewall and side sill and fender to disintegrate already, much worse than the photo shows.

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	205837
Bonnet front area, in fact the bonnet is rusted at all the corners, badly rusted.

I believe that the rust proofing in the manufacturing is not up to par, and will definitely not buy a GWM again unless they up the rust warranty. Will revert back to the community once we have had the meeting.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Last edited by Jabu Jeep; 09-04-13 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Some spaces aded.
Old 10-04-13, 08:01 AM

Ja look, these Steeds are prone to rust. Living at the coast, I take mine every 6 months for the check.

On my very first check (6 months old), the discovered rust under the bonnet. Surface rust, but it had to be treated.

On the second check (1 year old), the discovered rust at the bottom of the doors where the water runs out. Also just a tinge of orange, but treated again, but this time they sprayed tectol all over. Inside all the rubbers, on all the hinges, on the tailgate ect.

I'm doing my own inspections every now and again and I will point these out (if any) to them when I take it in again this May.

I will in all probability also not buy GWM again because of the rust issue. If they extend the warrantee to say 5 years, then I will consider trading the Steed on another one in the future.

My neighbor traded his Steed in after he saw how badly it was rusted.

Edit: My rust is nowhere near as bad as this yours though!

Old 10-04-13, 09:58 AM

A friend had a similar experience as he did not specifically ask the dealer to check for rust when it was serviced. I am taking delivery of a Steed 5 VGT next week and am concerned - I have been advised to do a rust treatment such as Tectol or similar - would this have an adverse effect on warranty - dealers seem to look for any excuse to void them these days. Would anti rust treatment be deemed as an unauthorised modification?
Old 10-04-13, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritondriver View Post
A friend had a similar experience as he did not specifically ask the dealer to check for rust when it was serviced. I am taking delivery of a Steed 5 VGT next week and am concerned - I have been advised to do a rust treatment such as Tectol or similar - would this have an adverse effect on warranty - dealers seem to look for any excuse to void them these days. Would anti rust treatment be deemed as an unauthorised modification?
I highly doubt it as the dealer sprayed mine with tectol.

I also doubt it would be seen as a "modification" as such. It's not like tectol can contribute to the engine falling out.

Old 10-04-13, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post

It's not like tectol can contribute to the engine falling out.
Don't know these okes are always looking for new ways to void warranties

steed 5 porrastreme
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (oom sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|Front runner roof rack

Old 10-04-13, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualter View Post
Don't know these okes are always looking for new ways to void warranties
Ja perhaps the tectol lubed the engine mountings and it came loose.

Hey, you never know with the stealers.

Old 16-04-13, 01:54 PM

I unfortunately foresee a bit of a fight coming.

Will let you know how this pans out.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 16-04-13, 01:59 PM

I suppose one in general gets what one pays for....
Old 16-04-13, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_01 View Post
I suppose one in general gets what one pays for....
Just gotta love constructive input.

We've heard it all Aviator.

Old 16-04-13, 04:23 PM

Yes Aviator, you indeed get what you pay for, I for one living at the sea, staying less than a 100m from the beach will not buy a GWM product again, purely and only this reason.....RUST.

I also have a corsa ute with rust, a Jeep, Peugeot and very old toyota hilux with no rust......it all depends how the vehicle is rust proved. No you may ask "why dont the toyota rust?" very simple, if you give this vehicle to a delivery driver you will replace some body panels at a regular intervals.........

The problem for me is the lack of communication from the dealership to the head office, GWM SA have not heard about my rust issue yet, well they do now. But this issue could have been resolved three weeks ago, if the dealership followed the rules.

Again, for every person having any motor vehicle issue, get the DP in on it immediately. Do not wait for the dealership to get back to you.

I now await the response from GWM SA.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 16-04-13, 04:44 PM

Leon Ellis at GWM SA is the customer relations officer, handling my case, he is leon@gwm.co.za.

Lets hope he can sort this issue.

Regards

Andre Thuynsma

Old 16-04-13, 05:02 PM

Just another lot of Dacia,s
Old 16-04-13, 05:04 PM
The Rookie (Really, it was said so on TV!)

Default Very unhappy Steed owner

I was taught a very valuable lesson when I had for dinner in Chinatown a few years back (Derrick St Cyrildene).
I ordered stuff off the picture menu that I wasn't too what it was.

Halfway through eating this old FOB Chinese lady comes to the table & asks;
"Howa foo?"

I reply "tastes like s[deleted but rhymes with SHEET]"

She shoots back "Yoo oda sheet, you eet sheet, roundeye!"

...just saying.

www.4x4actiongroup.co.za

Old 17-04-13, 08:15 PM

its sad, to hear this.
why everyone has excuses is beyond me.
it just dont work that way, well in my books.

being self employed and also rendering a service, i back up my installations etc.
advise clients etc.
and guess what, they dont listen to your advise............................... end result they need to pay if it was there fault.

so it seems, like when you buy a new vehicle, all aspects should be wriiten in black and white.
so that neither party has an excuse.
it's the way to go, cause when you bend, you gonna get screwed.

so let this be a lesson for all.
me included.

i feel for you, hope all pans out well.
Old 18-04-13, 03:19 PM

Hello everyone,

Honestly I knew exactly what I got myself into when I bought the vehicle. I knew that the build quality will not be on par with other makes. I knew that at some stage the vehicle will rust, I knew that most probably the engine will fail within the first 100 000km. I made myself very clear to the salesman that I will drive the vehicle for three years and trade it with 100 000km on the odo, if the vehicle is within reasonable condition they did promise that they will pay book value on it. I read all terms and conditions, and honestly the vehicle has done what I expect of it, it did actually do more. The load carrying ability is very very good, aircon, power steering is good, abs is good, and it never failed me and left me stranded next to the road.

What I did not expect and I do not accept this is that it takes a motor manufacturer two years to approve a warranty claim on a very noisy diff. I will not accept the fact that the manufacturer want to cut out rust, weld in pieces of plate, body putty and what else and then expect me to be happy about it. There is only two options on this matter, 1.) Buy the vehicle back from me at what I owe on it, should be very close to book value or 2.) replace the cab.

Nobody in there right mind will let any motor manufacturer cut out a piece of body and replace it while the vehicle is still under warranty, this is not a simple bit of rust, I am talking about serious rust issues.

If you look at picture No.1, now go to your vehicle, open driver side door, look up to the roof, you see that rubber, pull it away, you see that metal piece on which the rubber is mounted, mine is rusted very badly. GWM wants to cut that piece off, weld on a new one and give it back to me. They need to drill out all the spot welds. All areas around that rust has already started to bubble, it means that the metal around the rusted area is contaminated, it will rust again no matter how hard you try.

I don't think that my requests is above there ability to repair the vehicle, I will not sit at the end with a vehicle full of body putty, and patchy repair work. This vehicle is only two years old, and I expect the manufacturer to repair the vehicle as if it is still new.

I still believe we will come to an agreement.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 19-04-13, 11:34 AM

Andre I agree with you 100's
What can you do to make that dealer fix it properly?
A mate of mine bought a new steed 5 yesturday and I made him aware of your problem
I also think that not enough of us gwm drivers have tackled this rust issue with gwm South Africa
It's not even that its gwm but dealers in general just us the customer what they think is rite
Your storie makes my blood boil
If its any consultation to you I know that at least one dealer in gauteng knows about your storie already and has also asked the head office what they doing about the rust for the future

steed 5 porrastreme
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (oom sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|Front runner roof rack

Old 19-04-13, 01:41 PM

So what do you guys think us that have Steeds already can do?

I stood next to the bakkie this morning and saw some orange right by the back window. The bakkie is due for a rust check next week, but how is this thing going to look like in 5 years time?

It spends almost all it's time in a garage with occasionally getting wet.

Last edited by IcePick88; 19-04-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 20-04-13, 09:46 AM

You okes by the sea have it worst than us vaalies here on top
Mine shows no sign of rust at least what I've seen maybe its hidden

steed 5 porrastreme

Old 25-04-13, 04:32 PM

Hello my fellow GWM drivers,

I have been very busy, so have not had any time to get on the GWM case, I will out of principle not drive the vehicle as I feel it endangers my life.

Got a mail this morning from GWM, it reads the following:

"Hi Andre, Ek het jou versoek aan ons Tegniese afdeling gestuur. Die terugvoering is :

Indien jy nie die “Goodwill” om die voertuig te laat herstel aanvaar nie, sal dit teruggetrek en gekanseleer word

Groete Bonnie"

What the hell does this mean, it is not goodwill to fix the vehicle under warranty, it is your obligation. We have a signed agreement that I will look after the vehicle and have it serviced at a GWM dealer, and you warrant the vehicle against any blatant defects. Rust is a blatant defect on the vehicle, it is not something that I caused. Nothing else that I could have done would have saved the vehicle from rust.

This makes me really mad. I tried to get hold of GWM head tactical services Deon Van Heerden. I await his call.

I think we must start a poll on how many GWM vehicles have rust and post it far and wide.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 25-04-13, 05:46 PM

GWM must stand by there brand or fall by it.

I have a relative good relationship with them. They have manage to build a brand name in SA. This can be very quickly be undone.

Tell them about this website and this page so that they can see how GWM are perceived by there customers & the public.

This is after all there future & profit.

Old 25-04-13, 05:47 PM

Is daar 'n 'ombutsman' vir die voertuigbedryf?

Old 26-04-13, 12:54 PM

Hi GWM drivers,

The saga continuous, got a call this morning from Deon Van Heerden, the technical manager. His words is that they will repair the vehicle under "goodwill" and there discretion as I missed the 12 month rust check with two months, thus making the rust warranty null and void. Again my problem with this statement is that the vehicle was at there premises for a service at the correct date and time, why did they not do the check up, just because I did not tell the lady behind the desk to please do the rust warranty check.

Thinking back to the day that I took delivery of this vehicle, the salesman also did not make me aware of this issue, that you have to make sure the service department do there job and do a rust check. I have in fact never ask at any of the services the vehicle has done for a rust check, how is it possible that the service department remembers to do a rust check at exactly six months, then suddenly forgets to do it at 12 months, but remember to do it at 14 months, and then again remembers to do it at 18 months. This does not makes sense to me. If you have a look at the amount of rust on the vehicle, this is evident that the rust would have been there almost from date of delivery. I have asked for a rust check at the 2000km service, as there was a orange/ brown discoloration at the driver side door.

I am waiting for the area manager to get a call do have a sit down meeting with all of them and discuss this matter.

Lets see how this pans out.

Regards

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 26-04-13, 01:20 PM

Hmm , this saga is similar to what I had with my GWM, 6 months into owning the vehicle it was "vrot" with rust, endless visits to GWM Bellville , further was the arrogance I had to deal with, until they sent it in to have the rust removed , the rust come back after warranty was finished.
I vowed never to have it serviced by them again either.
The rust continued and was by now in the seams and places that could never be repaired, what saddens me is they are into the 3rd generation bakkie and still having the same if not worse rust issue.
I lived with the problem till I was due for a new vehicle, I considered trading in for another GWM , then thought stuff them, they have lost my business forever.
I will say that I punished that bakkie and it always came back mechanically for another go.
Old 26-04-13, 02:45 PM

I was recently in Hong Kong for about a week & one thing that struck me was that I never saw ONE Chinese vehicle on the road. Seems ironic that they do not ride their own CRAP. Does that not speak volumes

Old 26-04-13, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
GWM must stand by there brand or fall by it.

I have a relative good relationship with them. They have manage to build a brand name in SA. This can be very quickly be undone.

Tell them about this website and this page so that they can see how GWM are perceived by there customers & the public.

This is after all there future & profit.
i agree 100%
Old 27-04-13, 07:18 PM

I owned the following vehicles in the last year:

New BMW F30 320i 9500km
2x New Ranger T6 3.2 Manual and Auto 23000km and 1000km
1x Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT 48 000km
1x EVO9 25000km
1x New Steed 2.2 workhorse 30 000km

Sadly or not... the GWM is the vehicle that gave me the least problems so far! Best buy for the money and will always buy another.

Wait till you buy a new BMW with problems and they tell you they dont have spares for it... and at the same time export them by the 1000's!

Let me stop just here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
I was recently in Hong Kong for about a week & one thing that struck me was that I never saw ONE Chinese vehicle on the road. Seems ironic that they do not ride their own CRAP. Does that not speak volumes

Last edited by acssa; 29-04-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 28-04-13, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBasher View Post
Hmm , this saga is similar to what I had with my GWM, 6 months into owning the vehicle it was "vrot" with rust, endless visits to GWM Bellville , further was the arrogance I had to deal with, until they sent it in to have the rust removed , the rust come back after warranty was finished.
I vowed never to have it serviced by them again either.
The rust continued and was by now in the seams and places that could never be repaired, what saddens me is they are into the 3rd generation bakkie and still having the same if not worse rust issue.
I lived with the problem till I was due for a new vehicle, I considered trading in for another GWM , then thought stuff them, they have lost my business forever.
I will say that I punished that bakkie and it always came back mechanically for another go.
does this not tell you something more?..........
Old 28-04-13, 09:01 PM

Hi Guys. I used to drive a GWM Sailor, bought it new in Jan 2008. Had no mechanical problems or rust issues. Trade in in on new Steed 5 2.4 DC 4X4 January 2013. I removed all rubber plugs from under carriage, body panels etc and sprayed it with Techtyl. Inside of tailgate, doors, bonnet, wishbones, ladder frame, you name it, I sprayed it. I grew up in Walvis Bay, hence the prevention measures.

I have a minor hesitation issue with the 2.4 occasionally with acceleration. Had discussion with Leon at Head Office, appointment confirmed for Tuesday to attend to the issue. I make sure that I include China in all my communication to GWM SA. Maybe things will improve with the appointment of the chap from CAR Magazine. He is appointed to do Public Relations etc.
Old 28-04-13, 09:17 PM
ORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
The best post so far hey...and the Avatar has GWM all over it

-------------------------

GP

ATLANTIS FUN DAY 25 OCT 2014...look at website. The biggest offroad event in the cape
Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 28-04-13, 09:19 PM
ORA

The rust in the picture cant be filled. The proper way is to cut the offending parts out and braze in a new piece and prepare from there.

-------------------------

GP

ATLANTIS FUN DAY 25 OCT 2014...look at website. The biggest offroad event in the cape
Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 28-04-13, 09:25 PM

Default Reply

I took the Steed 5 to Helderberg Two Oceans today, had loads of fun. Managed the RED routes with ease. This with no diff lock and HT Tyres. Even at Melkbos 4x4 we never had issues with the thick sand. Maybe my vehicle will show rust it months to come, but I hope that the 8 cans of Techtyl will do the trick. I will check the bonnet to see if I can spray some Techtyl in there.
Happy motoring.
Old 28-04-13, 09:39 PM

My suggestion for what it is worth, Get the rust sorted by the agents then sell the steed and move to another brand. Once the rust is in the bodywork there is nothing permanent you can do. had a ford with rust problems and this is the advise I got from the technical guy at ford.

Old 02-05-13, 02:57 PM

And I am still waiting to get a call from the area manager. This is what makes me demo&r in. Why cant they just pick up the phone and call me. How difficult is this!!!!!

So unhappy at the moment.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 02-05-13, 03:08 PM

Go grab a couple of beers, might make you feel better.

Old 02-05-13, 03:11 PM

Very good idea Kyton.....and there is a couple in my fridge..

So I phoned Bonnie at GWM PE, his words, I am waiting for the rep to come, but should be any day soon.

Hell, how do you not know when your area manager is in town.

I just love there lack of service and respect.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 02-05-13, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabu Jeep View Post
And I am still waiting to get a call from the area manager. This is what makes me demo&r in. Why cant they just pick up the phone and call me. How difficult is this!!!!!

So unhappy at the moment.

Cheers

Andre
Go right to the top - the MD of GWM SA is Tony Pinfold - tell him your story - he's based in Durban

I try to be the person my dogs think I am....

Old 02-05-13, 03:25 PM

How do you remove rust that's in the welding seams, when a vehicle is less than 6 months old, besides a complete vehicle swap, no amount of tectyl can prevent it spreading.
Old 02-05-13, 03:27 PM

My vehicles always smell of Tectyl. When I buy new or 2nd hand. They get the treatment. My small Jimny took around 3 cans of tectyl. The Landy took 5 as well as a subsequent Waxoyl treatment. I hate rust and the best cure is prevention.

Sorry to hear about your trouble Andre!

ex 2002 Lada Niva
2012 Momsen 29'er (MTB)

Old 02-05-13, 03:34 PM

Thanks Royboy, will get hold of him.

That is true Dirtbasher, no matter how hard you try, the vehicle will rust.

Thanks Dawid, I will keep you all posted on what evolves next.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 02-05-13, 03:47 PM

Mr. Pinfold is not in.

Lets see how long does it take for the MD of GWM to get back to me.

Cheers

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 02-05-13, 06:01 PM

I reckon you'll never hear from him

steed 5 porrastreme

Old 03-05-13, 12:23 PM

When I discovered the rust in the seams of my bakkie, I threw my toys , demanded a new vehicle etc etc, all I got was , we will attempt to repair it under warranty, the saga continued, they had the vehicle for weeks on end, never gave me a loan vehicle, I eventually gave up as I couldn't run a business with out a vehicle.
Hopefully you guys will have better luck, as they are bigger and well branded now.
This was before the Steed arrived in SA.

Years ago in the 70's my Dad had a Toyota bakkie with the same rust issues, so I'm guessing GWM bought the patent for the rust from the Japs ......lol
Old 03-05-13, 01:43 PM

Hi,

Jip, not a word yet.

Eish, this is brilliant service.

Andre Thuynsma

Old 03-05-13, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabu Jeep View Post
Hi,

Jip, not a word yet.

Eish, this is brilliant service.

I really feel for you , the frustration is mind blowing, hope you get results soon!

Sterkte
Old 03-05-13, 10:05 PM

Jabu, one question... you say you have the 2.8 Steed 2011. The 2.8 was replaced in 2009 with the 2.5... how did you buy a 2.8 in 2011?
Old 04-05-13, 08:44 PM

Wow. Will be following this thread closely but I can't say the responses from Gwm have been encouraging.
Old 04-05-13, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acssa View Post
Jabu, one question... you say you have the 2.8 Steed 2011. The 2.8 was replaced in 2009 with the 2.5... how did you buy a 2.8 in 2011?
The 2.5 only came in 2011

The 2.8 changed to the 2.8 tci in 2009 if i remember correctly.

Last edited by relec; 04-05-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 05:00 PM

Hello All,

Still no word from any of the GWM workers/dealers....... Really pathetic service don't you think??

Relec you are right, I also did buy one of the last 2.8tci, as they could not give me an indication on when I can take delivery of the new one.

Tomorrow will be D-day for them, otherwise I will get my lawyer involve.

Regards

Andre

Andre Thuynsma

Old 06-05-13, 08:30 PM

Maybe hang in there for another week... did they not say they will repair the car?
Old 07-05-13, 02:53 PM

Hi All,

So I tried to get hold of Tony, but seems he is never in his office, and he obviously does not phone back.

So I phoned Deon in the Johannesburg office, not there.

So I phoned Bonnie at PE GWM, will phone me back, ten minutes later get a call from his office, the Area Technician will be in PE on Monday, they will contact me on Monday to arrange a time for the meeting to take place.

So we will wait and see what happens.

Regards

Andre

Andre Thuynsma